Skip to main content

Wednesday, October 18, 2017 - St. Luke the Physician

This sermon was preached on Wednesday, October 18, 2017 for the Feast of St. Luke at All Saints' Chapel, Church Divinity School of the Pacific. Texts for this sermon were: Sirach 38:1-4,6-10,12-1, 2 Timothy 4:5-13, Luke 4:14-21, and Psalm 147 or 147:1-7.
One night in the hospital I was called down to the post-operation floor, for a gentleman whose heart had stopped after surgery. I was there to stand by his son as he watched his father receive CPR, be transferred up to the ICU, and receive CPR again when his heart stopped a second time and was put on full life support, waiting for the rest of his family to arrive. Finally late into the night the son asked to spend some time with his father alone so I left the room and headed to the nearest phone to check in with the operator about another Code Blue. As I was picking up the phone, an exhausted young doctor in scrubs sitting next to the phone pulled back from the computer and put his head in his hands and said more to himself than to me, “I just feel awful.” Something about the way he said it turned the chaplain switch in my head on and I put down the phone turned and looked him in the eye and said “Tell me more.”

It turns out he had been the anesthesiologist for the surgery. I actually found out from a charge nurse later that it was probably this very, very young doctor’s first death. As he spoke he started to open up about his doubts and fears about the decisions he had made leading up to the man’s death. And underneath all this guilt and worry was another question he began to articulate to me. “How do I stay open and compassionate and empathetic in the midst of death? How do I stay emotionally vulnerable without burning out? How do I do this work becoming jaded?” As he become more and more accustomed to each new tragedy, how could he treat every death like it was his first?

As a chaplain, I didn’t have to have an answer for him. But I left the conversation confident that what will make him good doctor is the simple fact that he is asking these questions of himself. And not only that, he is brave enough to share them with someone else.

So I’ll share now, too. This question keeps coming back to me about myself, in my own career, especially as I consider what preaching this Gospel demands of me.

I’ll be honest with you, I’ve heard seven sermons on these same readings in the last three weeks—I even preached one of them. And yet, as a preacher I’m asked to read this Gospel all over again, as if for the first time. My job as a preacher is to get you to hear it again, afresh, anew, as if for the first time.

And in diving into this Gospel, what it demands of us as followers of Christ, this question is central, too. If we are, like Jesus, to preach good news to the poor, proclaim release to the captives, liberation for the oppressed, it means going out and listening, opening ourselves up to the broken-heartedness God asks us to bind up. In the midst of the healing work of God in the Church, how do we stay open to the suffering and pain of the people we encounter, or in ourselves? How do we listen to each story as if we are hearing it for the first time?

One small example. Lately, as my woman friends who have been posting on Facebook about their experiences with sexual harassment and assault, I’ve struggle to open myself to each new story and revelation as if I am hearing it for the first time. Just as I struggled with the latest mass shooting, another young unarmed black man shot and killed by police. How do we stay open to all this, as if for the first time?

But to carry out our ministry fully, to do this work of evangelism authentically, we must suffer with, we must be compassionate, all over again, afresh, anew. Seminary, this community, this church is our chance to learn how to do that. Our time to keep putting our heads in our hands and wondering out loud about all this we are trying to do. To keep admitting when you’re giving up on experiencing this all as if for the first time. Most of all, to keep turning to each other and saying, tell me more.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday, May 7, 2023 - There is a place for you here

This sermon was preached for the fifth Sunday in Easter, May 7, 2023 for St. Mark's, East Longmeadow. The texts for this sermon were: Acts 7:55-60,  John 14:1-14, and  Psalm 31:1-5, 15-16. Today's Gospel passage is a common funeral sermon because it's the words Jesus leaves with his disciples at the Last Supper before his crucifixion, words he knows will be what will carry his friends through what is to come, his death, their grief, the shock of the resurrection. Jesus wants his followers to know that they already have all they need for the journey ahead. You know the way, he reassures the disciples.  I will say, taken out of context, Jesus’ statement, “No one comes to the Father except through me” lands as uncomfortably exclusive. Certainly those words have been used to exclude: “No one…except.” Yet Jesus clearly intends for this whole passage to be reassuring, not threatening. Do not let your hearts be troubled. Don’t worry that you don’t know the way, you already do. Do

Unpreached Sermon, Sunday, January 10

In the immediate aftermath of the terrorist attacks on our Capitol on January 6, 2021, a video of a Black Capitol Police officer facing a mob of white supremacists went viral. [1] In the shakily captured frames, the lone officer retreats through the halls of the Capitol building. He is being screamed at and threatened by an angry, white, male crowd of Trump supporters. He has his hand on his gun but does not draw it, repeatedly calling for backup as he backs away from the crowd, up a set of stairs and left down a hall. A few days after watching that video for the first time, I learned some important facts that shifted my perception of the scene. [2] The officer's name is Eugene Goodman. He was, in fact, leading the crowd away from their targets in the Senate Chamber and toward where other police officers were ready and waiting. He was using his Black body, in his solitary vulnerability, to tempt a racist crowd to turn from their objective. In one moment in the video, a man at

Sunday, July 23 - Where God is

  This sermon was preached for Sunday, July 23, 2023 at St. Mark's Episcopal Church, East Longmeadow. The texts for this sermon were: Genesis 28:10-19a,  Psalm 139: 1-11, 22-23, and Matthew 13:24-30,36-43. Like a lot of churches, like St. Mark's in fact, the first parish I was a part of had a ministry to a handful of local care institutions, nursing homes, and assisted living facilities - a Eucharist for folks there once a month. All lovely places with lovely people. But there was this one nursing and rehabilitation center just down the street from the church that we hadn’t managed to visit in years. It had fallen on hard times; the staff there did their best but it was poorly funded and there was high turnover so the services were difficult to coordinate. Many of their permanent residents - older folks with dementia, young folks with brain damage, folks suffering from the irreversible effects of alcoholism, drug use, and poverty - were not there by choice. They were there beca