Skip to main content

Sunday, September 15, 2024 - Goodbye

This Goodbye message was shared for my last Sunday at St. Mark's Episcopal Church in East Longmeadow, MA. 

This goodbye has been really hard for me. I’ve shared that from the pulpit in each of my sermons this past month and also in personal conversations with many of you. This was my first church, really, in so many ways. My first two Holy Weeks as a solo priest. 7 burials, 2 weddings, 16 baptisms, 106 sermons. So many of you let me into your lives in profound and meaningful ways. I waited with you in hospital waiting rooms, anointed you while you held your newborns, prayed you through your loved ones’ last breaths, puzzled through church finances over your shoulders, and pronounced your first kisses as married couples. You embraced my children - teaching them songs, celebrating their many noises during worship - you even gave my daughter the bed that will carry her through toddlerhood. You taught me the quirky St. Mark’s traditions, old and new - the Craft Fair, the 5k, Christmas and St. Francis Day pageants, how to shift around sanctuary furniture each season, and what it means to really go all out for the Easter Vigil. To me, St. Mark’s tastes like the first hunk of corned beef I ever liked, perfect biscuits, and homemade communion bread and wine. 

Thank you. 

I know this goodbye isn’t just hard for me. A bunch of folks have been telling me lately how much they hate goodbyes and I have to agree. Goodbyes suck. This goodbye is hard. 

When I say goodbye today, though, I’m saying it with its original meaning. Goodbye is a contraction of the phrase “God be with you.” Saying goodbye is the sacred spiritual practice of entrusting each other to God, reminding each other that God will be with us as we part ways. 

And when we let a goodbye be a goodbye, really a goodbye, we are giving room for God to do God’s thing. If we let this goodbye be a goodbye then our next hellos, your hello to your new priest and the next stage of being St. Mark’s, my hello to my new parish, will be full and joyful and true. I have been honored to carry the presence of the Body of Christ to you these past two and a half years. And I trust that God will be with you through priests and others to come, speaking God’s love in a new voice.

Last Sunday we sang a hymn together that’s based on Psalm 98, “God has done marvelous things - sing to the Lord a new song.” What a marvelous thing God has done with us. Today we step back and say: Wow. Wow what a marvelous thing we did here together, you and me and God. Soon you will be singing a new song together. My voice will not be among you the next time you sing, and yet, I will carry your imprint, a St. Mark’s mark, upon my heart wherever I go. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday, May 7, 2023 - There is a place for you here

This sermon was preached for the fifth Sunday in Easter, May 7, 2023 for St. Mark's, East Longmeadow. The texts for this sermon were: Acts 7:55-60,  John 14:1-14, and  Psalm 31:1-5, 15-16. Today's Gospel passage is a common funeral sermon because it's the words Jesus leaves with his disciples at the Last Supper before his crucifixion, words he knows will be what will carry his friends through what is to come, his death, their grief, the shock of the resurrection. Jesus wants his followers to know that they already have all they need for the journey ahead. You know the way, he reassures the disciples.  I will say, taken out of context, Jesus’ statement, “No one comes to the Father except through me” lands as uncomfortably exclusive. Certainly those words have been used to exclude: “No one…except.” Yet Jesus clearly intends for this whole passage to be reassuring, not threatening. Do not let your hearts be troubled. Don’t worry that you don’t know the way, you already do. Do

Sunday, March 10 - Sin

This sermon was preached for the fourth Sunday in Lent, Sunday, March 10 at St. Mark's, East Longmeadow. The texts for this sermon were: Ephesians 2:1-10,  John 3:14-21, and  Psalm 107:1-3, 17-22. I’m going to tell you a story. It’s one you know. I’m not changing it - it’s still true to scripture. But it might have a different emphasis than you’re used to hearing. In the beginning, God created a beautiful garden and filled it with wondrous creatures, including two human beings made from the earth in God’s own image (Genesis 1:27). God spoke with the human beings often, walked with them, cared for them. They knew themselves to be God's creation, and that God saw them as very good (Genesis 1:31). The human beings were naked and they felt no shame (Genesis 2:25). But when the two human beings ate the fruit of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, and their eyes were opened, suddenly when they looked around they didn't see only goodness anymore. Even when they looked at t

Sunday, October 29 - Spiritual Wholeness

This sermon was preached for All Saints' Sunday, October 29, 2023. The readings for this sermon were:  Revelation 7:9-17,  Psalm 34:1-10, 22,  1 John 3:1-3, and  Matthew 5:1-12. So I listened to an episode from my one of my favorite theologians, Dr. Kate Bowler. She was interviewing an expert on teenage mental health on her podcast, Everything Happens. And I’ve been mulling over what they talked about ever since. It may seem quite unrelated to gifts, and saints, and puzzle pieces to start, but bear with me.  In the episode and in her book, The Emotional Lives of Teenagers , Dr. Lisa Damour offers a definition of mental health that’s a bit different than mainstream cultural discourse she often hears, but a whole lot closer to what mental health professionals and academics mean when they talk about wellness. Mental health is 1) having feelings that fit the situation, even if they’re not pleasant feelings and 2) managing those feelings effectively, that is coping in a way that brings